[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens' Hypothetical Iraq War

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:30:46 -0800

The Foreign Affairs article (
<http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060501faessay85301-p20/kevin-woods-james-la
cey-williamson-murray/saddam-s-delusions-the-view-from-the-inside.html>
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060501faessay85301-p20/kevin-woods-james-lac
ey-williamson-murray/saddam-s-delusions-the-view-from-the-inside.html ) is
interesting.  I?ve encountered much of this in other articles and books but
there is some new detail here.  I subscribe to FA and don?t yet have the
issue this came from.  I wasn?t aware that they posted articles on the net
before delivering them to paid subscribers.

Note the Footnote at the end of the article: ?For many months after the fall
of Baghdad, a number of senior Iraqi officials in coalition custody
continued to believe it possible that Iraq still possessed a WMD capability
hidden away somewhere (although they adamantly insisted that they had no
direct knowledge of WMD programs) . . .?  This isn?t inconsistent with the
statements of General Georges Sada quoted in
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49068 and
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49187 stating the WMDs
were shipped out of the country.

Lawrence