[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens' Hypothetical Iraq War

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:42:15 -0800

JE: "I read that _The Times_ published a UK Govt memo that showed Bush and
Blair
knew there were no WMDs."

ck: It was in the NYT (front page, online) yesterday, I believe. A longer
feature ran last Sunday. Is there any doubt, any longer, that Bush was merely
looking for reasons to justify a war that he was intent on having, as the memo
says? According to this memo, Bush also considered "planting" a phony
provocation by Saddam--to wit, shoot down an American plane, but accuse Saddam
of the shooting. (Q: Is Lawrence reading the media lately, I wonder? Does he
believe all mainstream media is completely without merit, regarding the US
invasion of Iraq, and subsequent war? How has he managed to miss this
verification of earlier suspicions--or does he simply dismiss this memo?)
Carol,
aka Sneezy