[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens' Hypothetical Iraq War

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:29:58 -0500

>>This is political science fiction, but at least shows
that you have some imagination.

See, Omar, if it were all science fiction, I'd still be reading Rumi and 9/11 wouldn't have happened. My friends would still be alive. (Look at the photo on the blog of NYC at Y2K.) The unimaginable happened. That hypothesis ceased to be one. It became a painful event.

Put down your ideological shield for a moment and tell me what you think the US should have done after 9/11. Just sit back and take it? Or try to fix some root problems? Go into an introspective period of mourning and self-recrimination, or try to excise the rotten core of the apple?

As I've repeatedly maintained, Hitchens isn't Bush's water boy. He's the one suggesting a rapprochement with Iran, rather than using the crisis as an excuse to test our new laser weapons or our new bunker-busting bombs. But the world isn't run by ideas or ideals; it's run by competing interests, all of whom are hungry for oil, influence, power, an edge on the future, or the chance to dominate.