[lit-ideas] Re: Feeling Safe isn't safe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:45:43 -0700

Because this is the orientation of our nation from its founding.    Our
nation was based upon the primacy of the ordinary citizen, not the primacy
of government.  We the people decided what government shall do and not the
reverse.   Mike's scenario has a benign government deciding that no one
shall have handguns and then somehow enforcing that decision - benignly so
that the police are our friends.    In my scenario all shall have handguns
if they qualify for handling them, because that is one of our rights.   We
the people have determined that certain people may not be trusted with guns
such as criminals and nutcases.  As to the inept, those people are either
the lazy (those who don't wish to learn about gun handling and safety) or
the witless (those whose intelligence doesn't enable them to handle guns
safely and responsibly).     I am essentially agreeing with the thrust of
Michael Barone's article.  He like so many assumed that the ordinary citizen
was not to be trusted.    But our nation was founded upon the idea that
government wasn't to be trusted.  Mike's fantasy would put more power in
hands of the government - an idea I am uncomfortable with.

Lawrence