[lit-ideas] Re: Feeling Safe isn't safe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 06:39:12 -0700

You make some really stupid statements and then anticipate that I'm going to
abuse you for them - and rightly so.  Once again, the answers to your
questions reside in something I posted for your edification, but you choose
not to read it and instead, with considerable gall, exhibit instead further
examples of your stupidity or ignorance.  You should always expect abuse
from me when I provide you evidence and you ignore it and respond as though
it doesn't exist.   Dispel your ignorance.  Read the evidence.  Since you
deleted it in your response, here it is again.
http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm

Since gun control advocates have attempted to institute legislation favoring
their position, this matter has been hotly debated in congress from time to
time, but the fact that the founding fathers, the originators of the Second
Amendment meant a certain thing by it weighs heavily against gun control and
gun control makes little headway.    The above is an analysis from a
congressional subcommittee on gun control.  It is especially interesting
because in it one can find a history of the thinking that led up to the
Second Amendment.

The founding fathers were founding a new thing, a new nation that put its
faith in the people and not in government.  They were suspicious of
government and to secure the nation against a possible future tyranny, they
created protections in the constitution and bill of rights.  They wanted to
make sure no tyranny would be able to arise in this nation.  A very
important element of this protection had to do with guns.  It was well known
to them that tyrannies invariable sought to disarm the people.  The only
people tyrannies wanted to have guns were their special minions: their loyal
armies and police.  They didn't trust the people and didn't want them to
have their own guns.   If they had guns they might form into militias and
thwart the tyrannical intentions of the government.

Should we look around us now and say, "look, we don't have a tyranny.  The
Bush administration is wonderful and hasn't a tyrannical bone in its
executive body, therefore let's do away with the Second Amendment"?   No.
We don't say that.  Perhaps the Bush administration is benign but some
future administration may not be.  It is important that we retain the Second
Amendment.  It is important that we remember that power resides in the
people and not in government - except as we give it power.  We don't
relinquish power to it.  We delegate power.  We don't allow government to
tell us that we are not trustworthy in regard to our rights.  The government
does not issue us our rights.   Our rights were recognized as inalienable by
our founding fathers.

Lawrence