[lit-ideas] Re: Feeling Safe isn't safe

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 07:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:         v\:*
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:*
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
   You make some really stupid statements and then anticipate that I?m going to
abuse you for them ? and rightly so.

  Andy:  What else can you do?

  Once again, the answers to your questions reside in something I posted for
your edification, but you choose not to read it and instead, with considerable
gall, exhibit instead further examples of your stupidity or ignorance.

  Andy:  Hey, you proved your "facts" worthless many times over.  From
everything to said to connect Iraq to 9/11 to the most recent spears and knives
in Nigeria shows you know nothing.

  You should always expect abuse from me

  Andy:  Ain't that the truth.  We give what we have...

  Since gun control advocates have attempted to institute legislation favoring
their position, this matter has been hotly debated in congress from time to
time, but the fact that the founding fathers, the originators of the Second
Amendment meant a certain thing by it weighs heavily against gun control and
gun control makes little headway.

  Andy:  Fortunately you know exactly what the FF had in mind.  That's a relief
that somebody has a handle on the Truth.

  The above is an analysis from a congressional subcommittee on gun control.
It is especially interesting because in it one can find a history of the
thinking that led up to the Second Amendment.

  Andy:  Congress is the gun lobby and the gun lobby is Congress, among a lot
of other lobbies.   Buzzer.  Try again.

  The founding fathers were founding a new thing, a new nation that put its
faith in the people and not in government.

  Andy:  Correct.  It was a revolution against England.

  They were suspicious of government and to secure the nation against a
possible future tyranny, they created protections in the constitution and bill
of rights.  They wanted to make sure no tyranny would be able to arise in this
nation.  A very important element of this protection had to do with guns.  It
was well known to them that tyrannies invariable sought to disarm the people.
The only people tyrannies wanted to have guns were their special minions: their
loyal armies and police.  They didn?t trust the people and didn?t want them to
have their own guns.   If they had guns they might form into militias and
thwart the tyrannical intentions of the government.

  Andy:  In other words, Lawrence, you're an insurgent.  You hate the
government and think we need to take up arms against it.  Cool.

  Should we look around us now and say, ?look, we don?t have a tyranny.  The
Bush administration is wonderful and hasn?t a tyrannical bone in its executive
body, therefore let?s do away with the Second Amendment??   No.  We don?t say
that.  Perhaps the Bush administration is benign but some future administration
may not be.

  Andy:  Yeah, well in the future a meteorite might come crashing into your
house.  Better move into an underground shelter today, don't take any chances.
The fact is, you secretly hate the U.S. government and need every excuse to arm
yourself against it.  Now that I understand that, Lawrence, I'll leave you to
your hatred and your insurgency.  More guns, Lawrence, get more guns.  Do it
now.

  It is important that we retain the Second Amendment.  It is important that we
remember that power resides in the people and not in government ? except as we
give it power.  We don?t relinquish power to it.  We delegate power.  We don?t
allow government to tell us that we are not trustworthy in regard to our
rights.  The government does not issue us our rights.   Our rights were
recognized as inalienable by our founding fathers.

  Andy:  Yes, Lawrence, yes.  There's a building in Oklahoma City that was
blown up in the early 90's that may serve as your symbol, perhaps your goal...

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.