[lit-ideas] Re: Feeling Safe isn't safe

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:10:18 -0700

I think it rather stronger than a myth one can adhere to or not.  Each
nation has its beliefs that its citizens grow up with.  They accept them
whether they are conscious of them or not.  Consider the Saudi myth Osama
bin Laden grew up with.  It is impossible for him to throw that off or look
at it objectively.  He can't see it from our point of view.

As to America's rugged individualism as opposed to Europe's Paternalism, I
think the former far more healthy.  I prefer a philosophy that encourages us
to stand on our own two feet as much as possible as opposed to one that
encourages its citizens to expect the world (or its government) to provide
it a living.  European Paternalism is Marxism-Light.

And, no, the government has no right to restrict our right to keep and bear
arms.  You are still quibbling about who we are.  Some of us are babies who
shouldn't be allowed to hold a gun.  Some of us have Alzheimer's who
shouldn't be allowed near guns.  Some of us are in Prison.  Some of us are
in mental Institutions.   So many Lit-Ideas quibblers.  So large a waste of
time.

Lawrence