[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:17:44 EST

In a message dated 3/17/2004 3:31:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mccreery@xxxxxxx writes:

> One wonder's how P. Enn's reasoning could be universalized:

Can it be universalized by giving al-Qaeda the same status in terms as a
country?

As a transnational non-governmental entity existing largely to murder in the
name of a fantasy ideology, al-Qaeda falls outside the class of objects Mike
should be using for his universalizing argument. Al-Qaeda have no capital city
like Hanoi, no populace, no diplomatic arm -- and no coherent voice.

(In the last case, I remember press announcements a year ago -- one from
"Osama" whose tone urged sympathy for their cause ["poor us, we're just
misunderstood"], and another a week later from a "spokesman" warning Americans
that
their "Christmas present" was on the way [evil voice: bwah-ha-hah!] -- both of
which were authenticated.)

Better to compare al-Qaeda to international pirates. One extirpates piracy,
and does not accord it the status of a coherent entity, a cause, diplomacy, or
any comparison to a polis.

Arrr, me bucko!