[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:45:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Standard Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > As for Al-Quaida, I think that negotiations with
> them
> > will them be necessary, simply because no other
> > approach is going to work.
>
> In my opinion, the US--regardless of who's
> president--would only consider
> negotiating with al Qaeda after many terrible
> options had been expended.

Hi Eric,

Many terrible options have been expended - the
invasions on Afghanistan and Iraq, remember ? They did
not stop the Al-Quaida and they seem to have brought
it into regions in which previously it was not active.

European
nations, given their economic and geographic
situation, might well try
engage in some sort of secret bargaining

Actually, I am not too sure that some negotiations
between the US were not already conducted in secrecy.
The US quietly fulfilled one of the Al-Quaida demands,
to withdraw the troops from Saudi Arabia, and it's a
bit odd that there were no attacks on the US soil
since 9/11.

Anyway, the Al-Quaida is not going to be appeased by
such small beans as the Europens could offer. One of
the differences between the AQ and the IRA is that the
IRA has been around for a while and it has largely
transformed into a criminal organization, so that its
willingness to stop the terror activities may stem
from the wish to protect its 'businesses' in drug
dealing, racketeering and the like. Al-Quaida does not
seem to be interested in money for now, only in
political power, and that only the US could supply.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com