[lit-ideas] Europe's September 11

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:12:44 -0000

[Repost: first post diverted by freelists -- problematic word/s altered, see
*...*]

Thank you, Andreas. (I replied before reading this, overcome by freelists'
sending me *6* copies of one post... (two to each address... -- punishment
for complaining about their failure to *act on my posts*)

> Rawnsley isn't offering an argument. He's just summarizing what is obvious

There is an argument, it's simply very badly put.  And -- as you will know
by the time you get this -- I thought your comment re the UK obvious.

> Blair's deep worry that "this might be the day" is silly because Bush's
> office also puts out the same story. It's just propaganda, political spin.

And yet you think Britain will be next in line. Is that OK if you say it,
not if Blair does?

> Is it possible to negotiate with al Qaeda? But of course

The man who "signed" Al Qaeda's admission of responsibility is unknown to
the Spanish police -- who have been ahead of ours when it comes to concern
about and investigations of "the Al Qaeda threat".  Who if anyone directs Al
Qaeda? Is there more than one Al Qaeda?  Can the Al Qaeda ideology admit of
a simple "tired of all the killing" that brought the IRA to the final (we
hope) conference table? (etc.)

Opponents of the bombing of Afghanistan and the War on Iraq can still ask
these questions; I do.

> It's awful to say this: Al Qaeda will attack the UK.

that's terribly *obvious*, Omar.  It would be *obvious* even if our Govt
hadn't ringed Heathrow with tanks, ringed Parliament with breeze blocks,
introduced even greater security on  airlines, and issued warnings -- which
I expect to be more forcefully issued soon -- re packages left unattended in
public places.  It may be particularly *obvious* to me given that I've sat
in a pub and heard a bomb go off nearby, travelled on tubes that did not
stop at my station (bomb alert there), had to joini in an evacuation of a
train at Birmingham, etc. etc.. It's still *obvious*. But your saying it
does not help.

Judy Evans, Cardiff (UK)
judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx