[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: david savory <dsavory@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:49:56 -0800

>My point was that the terrorists
>were able to move the people from 'the incumbent centre-right party was
>poised to keep power in Spain' to voting in line with 'the will of the
>Spanish people was not with American foreign policy'.  That is, the
>terrorists successfully shifted Spanish foreign policy against the U.S.
>and towards their own goals.

The majority of Spanish voters opposed involvement in Iraq
long before the bombings. This doesn't suggest to me that Spain
has gone all soft on terrorism but that its previous government
wasn't responsive to its constituents and got the boot as a
result. People only accepted militarism as part of a slate of
other political priorities that they were in favour of.

Spain's foreign policy is now where people wanted it all along.

David Savory
Vancouver
dsavory@xxxxxxxxx