[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:32:02 -0500

Yes, I, too, had this conversation with one near and dear.   He opined
that Spain's vote could be seen as giving in to terrorism.   But what
should poor Spain have done?  Vote for a government that ignored their
'demonstrated' wishes so as to stand up to the terrorists?

What I don't have an answer for is this.  The theory of terrorism says
that terrorists carry out their attacks to push their government into
overreaction in order to turn the populace against the government.
Perhaps Spain was an unexpectedly easy victory which bypassed the middle
turmoil.

Ursula
perpetually avoiding her marking in North Bay, Ontario