[lit-ideas] Re: Can You Imagine 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:30:18 -0330

I don't think W. believed certainty to be a scalar, qualitative sort of thing
(state of mind, or better, disposition). So in your rendering, your claim takes
the form of an empirical belief. Such beliefs are uncontentiously often the
ground of action or inaction. (Eg: You won't begin construction of a spaceship
in order to visit your brother on Venus.)

But W's idea that certainty, expressed through what he called "hinge" or
"riverbed" propositions, is non-epistemic and founds action is different. They
are not open to rational doubt or justification, yet are required by the
practices and actions we engage in. I think that's right. From here on in it
gets murky.

Walter O.
MUN

Quoting palma@xxxxxxxx: