[lit-ideas] Re: Can You Imagine 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: joerg benesch <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>, jls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx, joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>, John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>, wokshevs@xxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:04:19 -0500 (EST)

this is traditional behavioristic mumbo jumbo.
I am rather, even quite, certain that I do not have siblings on Venus.
Now this the ground of which action, pray tell?

On
Tue, 20 Nov 2007
wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

> The distinction between certainty and knowledge is indeed an interesting one.
> Wittgenstein spent a considerable amount of time in Cambridge and at Malcolm's
> house in [insert the correct American city] trying to show that Moore's
> hand-waving proved nothing. Hence, Moore's "proof of an external world" was
> unsuccessful. What has emerged as *On Certainty* claims that certainty is not
> an epistemic concept. To be "certain" is not to have knowledge of any kind -
> be
> it propositional or procedural. Rather, "certainty" is a ground of action.
>
> Walter O.
> MUN
>

> Quoting "Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx" <ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > This whole conversation plays really strangely if you watched Nineteen-
> > eighty-four last night.

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx