[lit-ideas] Re: Can You Imagine 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:37:05 -0800

Could you fill this out a bit? There's some relation (don't ask me to say exactly what it is) between knowledge and certainty; but it doesn't follow from someone's being absolutely certain that x, that x.

Epistemology (the knowing of something) and ontology (the being of something) aren't the same thing.

But we think they are identical. If I tell you my cat is on the sofa (and she actually is at the moment asleep on the sofa), you would accept it as fact. Being becomes knowledge.

And knowledge often turns into being: we know some things and we're able to postulate, imagine, and create a third thing. It's rather remarkable that we can do this, and we forget how shaky that can be.

But knowing something doesn't guarantee that it exists. Robert's last sentence should be (I'm guessing) "...certain that X is known, thus X exists." We can indeed be utterly certain (not merely imagining or guessing or illusioned or mistaken) about something, but it still won't exist.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
Certainly. I've seen people "clearly know" (not just imagine) an incorrect number.

Could you fill this out a bit? There's some relation (don't ask me to say exactly what it is) between knowledge and certainty; but it doesn't follow from someone's being absolutely certain that x, that x.

Robert Paul
speaking from experience