[lit-ideas] Re: Can You Imagine 2 + 2 = 5?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:53:22 -0800

What I had in mind and sorry for the confusion was that being certain that Ursula lives in Canada e.g. doesn't entail that she lives there; i.e., it doesn't entail that the proposition 'Ursula lives in Canada,' is true. In other words, x was standing in for a proposition.

For many years, I agreed with the logic of this statement. Just because you believe something doesn't make it real (note that i use "real", not "true").

But I've noticed that it is indeed possible for people "to believe a logical impossiblity", and to make it stronger, it's possible for people "to know a logical impossiblity".

Therefore the "one can't imagine 2+2=5" argument, which appears to be logical, isn't correct (and that's an amusing example of itself, isn't it?)

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com