[LRflex] Re: Z + N = ? OT (maybe)

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:59:52 -0400

Philippe Amard wrote:

"modern" Doug, am I that wrong?
<<<

Phase-detect AF systems used by Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Sigma
and Leica for DSLR cameras rely on a semi-silvered main reflex mirror and a
secondary mirror behind the main mirror to reflect the incoming light to
the AF sensor.  Alignment and calibration of the AF sensor's virtual
"plane" must match the sensor's plane for accurate focus.

One company (I don't recall which, not CaNikOlySonytax) recently patented a
sensor with phase-detect AF sensing photosites interspersed with
image-capture photosites.  I don't believe it has been incorporated into a
marketable camera yet.

Contrast-detect AF has been used for a number of years in small P&S digital
cameras and more recently in live-view mode on the Nikon D3x.  It's slower
than phase-detect AF and it requires a live-view sensor.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com