[LRflex] Re: Z + N = ? OT (maybe)

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:32:40 -0400

George Lottermoser wrote:

Think about Doug Herr pointing his 280 1:4 Apo at one of his birds.
He's focusing on the eye ball and hoping like hell that the rest of body
will render well "enough."
He's already stopped down (or not) according to light availability and ISO
speed chosen.
The sensor is not parallel to the bird; its tilted in any number of
possible directions.
As long as his view/focusing system is in dead accurate alignment to the
sensor
he will see the precise focus and out of focus effects of the lens
accurately;
even if that beautiful apo were .001 - .01 mm tilted in any direction it
will perform at peak on this subject.
<<<

That's pretty much how I see it.  This wasn't made with the 280 APO (it was
the late 250mm Telyt) but it illustrates the point:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/turdidae/mobl00.html

As far as I'm concerned getting the eyeball in focus is a primary goal, but
I also wanted as much of the body in focus as possible too.  I waited until
the bird moved so that it's back was near the plane of focus then
maneuvered a little to get as much of the bird's back in the plane as I
could, while not losing the focus on the eye.  The SL's viewfinder was
great for this because I can see clearly what is or is not in focus,
anywhere in the field of view.  It matters not that the bird plane and film
plane were perfectly parallel, only that the viewscreen and film agree.
Focus isn't just at points.  Focus is in a plane.

Herman Kempers wrote:

Looking through a EVF don't make me very happy -the ones i have seen until
now.

If i am watching at a very tiny television.

I rather sure i will never buy/use a camera who can only work this way.
<<<

I'll certainly wait for the technology to improve substantially before
buying a camera that can only work this way.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com