[jhb] Re: Windows XP

  • From: Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:17:40 +0000

I am a great believer in bi-annual rebuilds.
I reckon that it is prudent to replace, or shift down the main hard drive regularly. This has been my regimen for the past 10 years, even when upgrading machines I transfer my out-going hard drive. Having had a total failure of the C: drive I definitely don't want to suffer this again.

Colleagues ask advise regarding slow Windows machines, which invariably are 4-5 years old. They say they only use the thing for office type applications and don't want the "bother" and expense of investing in a new machine when the old one is just running slow.

I suggest the purchase of a new drive, (larger and cheaper generally) a re-install of Windows and the latest updates/drivers. Re-install those programs which are used weekly, and install the old drive as back-up/repository after importing relevant saved files.

£75 and a half day and the machine is generally as good as new. They then talk about the 100's of magazine programs installed and then "deleted", all the trial stuff downloaded which was no good etc etc