[jhb] Re: Windows XP

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:43:59 +0000

Frank

As well as some features (encrypting file system, access control, offline files) which I want but which are not available in XP Home, the obvious thing is that there is no upgrade path from Win 2K Pro to Win XP Home.

You mention availability of OEM versions. As I said in my initial post, I already have the OEM version - but it does not allow upgrading an existing Windows o/s. I would prefer to upgrade rather than install XP from scratch, in order to avoid the considerable added burden of re-installing a LOT of software. From my experience last week installing XP Pro from scratch on a spare Win 2K box, together with all patches, security updates, then all applications and settings, it took the best part of a day. With Linux this would take 15 minutes - you can see why I prefer it.

Mike L

franklyn fisher wrote:
Mike

Any particular reason for XP Pro as against plain XP?

OEM versions are available for around £60 for a good search.

Frank F