[jhb] Re: Windows XP

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:53:55 +0000

Paul

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure that what you suggest offers any further benefit. A clean dual-boot install of XP Pro would not have the Registry entries for key software, as I discovered last week - XP did not identify, e.g. MS Office, installed on another partition under Win 2K Pro. So I had to re-install it anyway. I'm pretty sure the same would be the case with FS.

So, as I said in my last post, I have nothing to lose by trying the upgrade route initially. If it goes pear-shaped then I have the choice of a clean XP install or restoring my Win 2K Pro image.

Mike L

Paul Reynolds wrote:
Is there not a suitable third option?  As you have an OEM disk, why not
install a new, clean drive, temporarily disconnect your Win2K drive, carry
out a fresh OEM install onto the new drive then re-connect the old Win2K
disk.  You can then choose your preferred boot disk depending on what you
are doing as well as having a fresh disk to work with, reslove the XP issues
and not risk losing the current Win2K install.

I understand a non-OEM upgrade is your preferred option but it's frought
with risk and you may end up having to do a fresh install anyway.  My
suggestion at least offers an extra level of security, I'm a great believer
in leaving what you have intact and only remove it when you know that what
replaces it is suitable.

As for data encryption etc (ie. the differences between XP Pro and Home
versions) there are plenty of free options to cover these available online.