[jhb] Re: EGBB news

  • From: Phil Reynolds <phil.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:21:49 +0000

Hi Bones,

Only a handful of movements have used 06/24 in the past few years and reliable sources tell me that the only reason it wasn't closed earlier is that the rent on the land was cheaper per square metre for a runway than a taxiway! Eventually the new apron will swallow up the 24 end of the runway anyway so it was going to go eventually anyway (pending planning permission of course!).

This isn't the first planning application, previous ones included a lot more expansion including a second runway but there has always been a huge amount of public pressure to curb any such expansion and I think this is a compromise to try and quell those complaints.

Phil

bones wrote:
Hopefully 06/24 will live on in FS for some time. <g>

It's a pity it had to close as secondary runways are always useful but the
report suggests it has hardly been used recently. The plan of the runway
extension is interesting as I would have thought it would have been longer.
It's a huge amount of work for such a short addition - especially moving the
Coventry road..