RE: question

  • From: "Chris Feist" <ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:52:19 -0500

A Web site may have an OnMouseOver link that will display additional
information when a sighted user moves the mouse pointer over the link.
For us, JAWS will announce OnMouseOver so we know that additional
content may be available.  When on the link, you press Control Enter to
simulate the mouse-over feature.  Pressing Enter alone on an OnMouseOver
link, however, will only activate the link and does not show you the
additional information.

JAWS tells us if the page changed after pressing Control Enter.  If the
page changed, we are told at which line it took place.  You can then
jump to that line by using the jump to line feature by pressing the
letter J and typing in the appropriate line number.  For me, it doesn't
always tell me where the line changed, though.  Quite frankly, I've had
virtually no luck with the OnMouseOver feature.  Maybe I'm not doing it
right, but I never seem to find additional information.  Go figure.

Additionally, I got so tired of hearing OnMouseOver being spoken that I
changed my settings to just make a subtle sound of scissors instead.  I
made the change in the Configuration Manager.  Then in Speech and Sounds
Manager, I went to Edit current Schemes and then Control Tabbed over to
the HTML column and was able to make the appropriate change there.  Not
to say that you would necessarily want to do this, but I'd recommend it
to anyone who wants Jaws to be a little less talkative at times.  My
hand goes up for that.

Chris Feist - The one and only!