Re: question

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:32:34 -0700

Francis and Judith,
There's a whole section about mouse over links in a special tutorial feature
on the Freedom Scientific site.  I forget the name of the link and the
section, but it's a play on something to do with Web surfing that will be
obvious if you go to the home page at www.freedomscientific.com.

Here will be a full explanation of mouse over links and exercises to teach
the technique of revealing them and reading them.  Unlike the Braille site
version, most of the stuff that comes up over a link when a sighted user
touches the mouse pointer to it without clicking can be more informative,
telling things about a feature or function or product that isn't explained
elsewhere on the page.  So some may find it worth their while to learn this
skill by going to the Freedom Scientific site, working with this section of
the tutorial ,and then trying it out on the Web when encountering links that
Jaws announces this way.

Personally, I'm not yet skilled with this feature, though I've practiced it
on the tutorial.  The sites I spend the most time at, online newspapers and
other reference sources, don't make much or any use of this gimmick, as do
commercial sites, increasingly.  But again, you can only know how to work
with this capability and evaluate its usefulness to you by learning how to
do the whole mouse over link drill.

Hope this helps.