[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 16:36:16 +1200

In message <mpro.lkn6ph04a372o01k7.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 May, Ron wrote in message
>     <f4a4cdcd51.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > There is a 5Vsb voltage line commonly 2amp, sometimes 3amp that might be
> > able to be treated as a separate line for special treatment.
>
> Not really. Regulation on the 5Vaux is worse than the main 5V line and it's
> always on so the soft-power switch won't work (that's the point: 5VAux
> powers the soft-power circuits).  For a given load, the ripple on the 5Vaux
> is likely to be higher than the 5V, too.
>
> While it's not a requirement of the spec, the 5Vaux will generally come from
> a much poorer 'quality' converter than the main outputs.
>
> > Getting a good quality psu replacement is definitely a good start, But
> > no-one has singled out a model,(CJE perhaps) and there is no long term
> > proof available yet. The bulk on the market are 500-1200Watt now.
>
> That's because no-one seems to know what the Iyo motherboard sees as "good
> quality" yet.  If we did, we might have a hope of identifying what we're
> looking for in a replacement PSU.

Thanks for that info.

Here's another nasty to look out for.
I took my Iyonix apart to cut the podule expansion bay in the case,
and to clean off the dust etc.

While on the bench, I tried a spare psu and with a digital
wattmeter at the wall plug.

The 110watt (mitac) psu has no switch but while plugged in at the wall,
uses 8 watts -before- turning on the Iyonix.

A minimum system, 256Mb ram, 2.5 IDE, 64Mb Graphics card,
Kbd, mouse, no cd or floppy.
Powered up it uses 35 watts.

Back to my chunkier (Skyhawk) psu -about 250 Watts going by the amps.
It has a switch, But before and after turning on the psu
switch - 0 watts.
Powering up the same machine as before and only 33 watts

I was expecting the opposite to happen, the mitac has a sbV .1V
and the Skyhawk sbV .8V, but it must have a more sophisticated
standby system.

If you left the mitac psu plugged in 24/7 you would use the same
as your (energy saving) lighting bill!

My CRT monitor has this problem, and needs turning off at the wall.
Checking around the house there are a few other munchers.
Could be a good question to ask before forking out big bucks,
How much power does it use before I turn it on?

Ron M.