[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 22:58:32 +0100

In message <f830bdcd51.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 3 May 2011 Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <51cbb06213julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I have never been able to understand why the voltage is this critical.
>> Neither does my OH. We are both electronics engineers. Back in the
>> good old days, TTL would tolerate 4.75 - 5.25V, 7V absolute max.
>> CMOS could run anywhere between 3V and 18V. (I know that many of the
>> more recent ICs run at 3.3V.) Why is the Iyonix so sensitive?

> JB has given the real answer: the Iyonix isn't particularly
> sensitive, but its PSU ages and malfunctions.

I realise that designing and producing the Iyonix was a major
achievement by a small firm and that there must have been complex
trade-offs but:

1 Acorn hardware tended to last a long time.  So it was likely that
buyers would expect the Iyonix to carry on performing even with its
PSU ageing.  Of course, if Castle had been able to produce completely
new models every 12 months this wouldn't have been an issue.

2 Given that PSUs ageing will happen in largely predictable ways, a
design that could cope with the ripple on the 5V line going out of
spec would be more robust and hence more durable than one that can't.

Regards

Andrew

--
Andrew Pinder