[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:30:16 +0100

In message <a788f4ca51.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm still thinking there could be something to be gained from
> further filtering of the mainboard 5V supply though.
> A large diode followed by a large filter capacitor in line would
> drop the voltage a little but it would be smoother.

There is no diode on Earth that can be placed in series with a
logic 5 V supply without putting the supply voltage out of
tolerance - other than a diode that has failed and become a
short circuit, of course :-)

As JB has pointed out, any extra ripple on the supply rail
indicates a malfunction of the PSU.  Fantasy methods to work
round the PSU's malfunction are more difficult than curing
the problem at source.  They can also only work for a short
time, as the ripple is only going to get worse.

Dave