[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:06:24 +0100

In article <8dbfbdcb51.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron
<iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <51cb83c848jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jim Lesurf
>           <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

> The purpose of the diode would be to stop the drives on the psu side of
> the diode drawing on the smoothing capacitor.

That would only be useful *if* the levels of ripple, etc, either side were
much smaller than the diode drop. Alas, as other responses have indicated,
you can't really assume you are just talking about 'dc' here.

> I would not be confident that a low pass filter would work, and that
> some failure in an inductor could cause a spike. I guess if they were
> built heavy enough, and there wouldn't be a voltage drop. It get's
> technical though.

Using active means like a capacity multiplier you can get very large levels
of reduction in ripple, etc. But in this case you only have a tiny amount
of 'headroom' to work with and may have a situation where the rest of the
PSU is deteriorating.

> I had a psu give trouble here, and it wasn't an Iyonix original. I think
> it has been stated that not all replacements have been suitable, so it
> still stands that the Iyonix is sensitive to the 5V smoothness.

Alas this shows the old maxim. "In theory, theory and practice agree, but
in practice they often don't!" applies. As well as ripple and load sag you
may have problems with demand surges or 'RFI'.

Given this, I should ask. Is there a specific list of PSUs people have
found are OK as replacements?

Slainte,

Jim