[iyonix-support] Re: Some Guidance Required Please

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:02:23 +1200

In message <4DB89A79.8080108@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The other standard culprit tends to be the graphics card..
>
> JB

I'm still thinking there could be something to be gained from
further filtering of the mainboard 5V supply though.
A large diode followed by a large filter capacitor in line would
drop the voltage a little but it would be smoother.
If the diode ever shorted it would only be back to where it was.

I've seen some graphics cards with an external psu connector,
I also wonder if psu 3.3V could be fed direct to the output of
the Gainward 3.3V regulator (or input) and cut the 5V track.
It would take some demand off the PCI 5V and the regulator.
It would be harder to do on some other brands I think.

Things could be worse, at least the mainboard isn't another
standard culprit. (-:

Ron M.