[iyonix-support] Re: Dead Iyonix

  • From: Grahame Parish <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:45:36 GMT

In message <51b89c61cbriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <803b0db851.GrahameParish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grahame Parish
> <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've just received a replacement graphics card purchased on eBay
>> for £40 that has slotted in as a direct replacement and works
>> perfectly. I'll transfer back all the working files (email, news,
>> organiser, etc.) later tonight and check it over properly.

> Good price :-)

> My Aria has a separate fan to cool the FX5200 VGA card. Is a fan
> required for the VGA card in an Iyonix computer? If so it is worth
> renewing them after a year or two. Increased noise is a sign that the
> bearings are going and the fan efficiency falls off rapidly which may in
> turn damage the VGA card. Maplin usually stock them.

Both the previous one and the 'new' one are fanless.  The first one
lasted at least four years from new without hitch until the problem
occurred - it was definitely linked to plugging in the external drive,
although I've done it so many times before.  Once I'd put the new card
in and tested it I plugged in a different self-powered drive and the
machine failed to start.  I left it powered down for and hour (mains
disconnected) and it started fine so I haven't plugged an external
drive in since.  It seems to me that the USB card is probably the root
cause, as that's two different USB drives causing similar problems on
two different graphics cards.  By the way, the 'new' card is 256MB as
well, so an increase over the 128MB of the old one.