[iyonix-support] Re: Dead Iyonix

  • From: Grahame Parish <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:17:01 GMT

In message <51b270ef88riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <997e45b251.GrahameParish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grahame Parish
> <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <4D7A0763.4000303@xxxxxxxxxxxx> "David J. Ruck"
>>           <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It may well have been. Self powered drives can draw too much
>>> current from the Iyonix's USB ports. See if it boots up without
>>> the USB PCI card present, you wont be able to do anything without
>>> USB, but it will indicate if that is the extent of the damage.

>>> Cheers

>> Probably not the best term to use - by self-powered I mean that it
>> has its own power, not dependent on USB power.

> I'm still a little confused - do you mean the USB hard-drive has its own
> independent power supply or is it relying on the Iyonix to supply the
> power? If it has its own power supply I am unable to see a reason for it
> damaging the USB card but if the latter then I guess damage might have
> occurred due to the fairly high current demands made by the hard-drive.

It definitely has its own power source so it doesn't take any power
from the USB port.  I've attached it 'live' to the Iyonix on dozens of
occasions in the past without any issues whatsover over the last six
or more years.  While it always single tasks the Iyo for up to 100
seconds (not so long since the USB improvements from ROOL), this time
it froze the pointer and I couldn't Alt-Break or Ctl-Break out of it.
I've never experienced pyjama symptoms with either the original or the
later FX5200 graphics card.  I leave it running 24/7 with only rare
reboots.  It went from working to frozen to restart - dead.