[iyonix-support] Re: Dead Iyonix

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:07:53 +0000 (GMT)

In article <803b0db851.GrahameParish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grahame Parish
<grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <181d64b651.GrahameParish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Grahame Parish
>           <grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Having just had the first chance to carry out some further
> > testing, it appears that the graphics card has failed.  I don't
> > get pyjamas anymore, just a blank white screen and no boot up if
> > it is fitted. With it removed the machine does beep as it runs
> > through the initial startup.

> > Just got to decide whether to replace the card or carry on with
> > the Beagle xM, which has been working very well with only one
> > reboot for two weeks now (it doesn't seem to like GPrint2 and
> > hangs during printing) running OPro, Messenger, SparkFS,
> > NetFetch, Organiser, Sunfish (needs alignment exceptions turned
> > off to start it, but OK once running), RDPClient, StrongEd,
> > NetSurf, PrivateEye and 7Backup. It's all working at
> > 1600*1000x16M @ 45Hz, so I'm missing much that I could do on the
> > Iyonix.  Decisions...

> I've just received a replacement graphics card purchased on eBay
> for £40 that has slotted in as a direct replacement and works
> perfectly. I'll transfer back all the working files (email, news,
> organiser, etc.) later tonight and check it over properly.

Good price :-)

My Aria has a separate fan to cool the FX5200 VGA card. Is a fan
required for the VGA card in an Iyonix computer? If so it is worth
renewing them after a year or two. Increased noise is a sign that the
bearings are going and the fan efficiency falls off rapidly which may in
turn damage the VGA card. Maplin usually stock them.

All the best

Richard