[iyonix-support] Re: Dead Iyonix

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:20:37 +0000

Hi

First Q.. will it start without either the usb card, or without the graphics card .. its a quick check for failed plugin cards

JB

Stop press! Just announced - mobile tariffs

No contract tie in, sim only prices
500 anynet mins, unlimited texts £10 / month
800 anynet mins, unlimited texts £15 / month
Unlimited mins, unlimited texts £20 / month
Interested? Call me

John Ballance C.Eng MIET - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

John says: Shrink bills up to 30% or more? -> Have you looked here?

Too Much Month at the End of the Money? Look at this!

On 11/03/2011 11:09, Grahame Parish wrote:
Last night I attached a self-powered native formatted external hard
drive to a USB port and it froze the machine - this is not usually a
problem.  I had to disconnect the mains to restart the computer, but
on doing so I got my first ever 'pyjamas' incident with vertical fine
coloured stripes in repeating sequences across the screen and the
monitor complained that is was not being fed an optimal resolution.

I've tried all the usual tricks to get it going again, swapped PSUs
(twice) but no change.  The floppy drive light comes on, the internal
discs spin up and the nothing else - no sounds to indicate that the
boot sequence is proceeding, just a bricked machine.  I checked the
supply voltages on a spare drive power plug as 5.09v and 12.08v with a
DMM.

The Iyo is running on 5.16 flashed with a later (FX5200?) graphics
card.

Luckily the nightly backup had run about 30mins earlier and I have
BeagleBoard, so I copied Messenger and NewsDir across so I still have
access to mail and news.

Any suggestions?