[iyonix-support] Re: Dead Iyonix

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:18:05 +0000 (GMT)

In article <282c7ab251.GrahameParish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Grahame Parish
<grahame.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It definitely has its own power source so it doesn't take any power
> from the USB port.  I've attached it 'live' to the Iyonix on
> dozens of occasions in the past without any issues whatsover over
> the last six or more years.  While it always single tasks the Iyo
> for up to 100 seconds (not so long since the USB improvements from
> ROOL), this time it froze the pointer and I couldn't Alt-Break or
> Ctl-Break out of it. I've never experienced pyjama symptoms with
> either the original or the later FX5200 graphics card.  I leave it
> running 24/7 with only rare reboots.  It went from working to
> frozen to restart - dead.

Two things come to mind.

1. Power supply problem - a quick check of the +5V line with a DVM
measured at the hard-drive. 5.06V is a figure that comes to mind -
you could still have a dodgy power supply however.

2. Could the VGA card be playing up?

Recently my Iyonix gave a shimmering effect and iconbar and windows
appeared with an eerie pink hue. I carefully removed the card using an
earthed wrist strap and anti-static mat, cleaned the edge contacts,
cleaned and checked fan was working correctly, replaced and re-powered
machine and since then its been working fine. I know these symptoms are
different from those you've described but I wonder if you're card is
bunged up with dust or the fan is faulty. My experience is that the VGA
fan lasts a couple of years and as you keep your machine on 24/7 this
will reduce its bearing life.

Regards

Richard