[icon-discuss] Re: New user with questions

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:11:00 -0500

Yes, hopefully, the CD should have been tagged properly and wasn't. In some
very rare instances a CD is not in one of the major CD databases like CDDB
as Terrance noted.  But, mostly, they are. I am away from my main place just
now, so I can't pull together an exact step by step for you or your friend,
but I will next week sometime. It basically means that you want the program
being used to convert the audio from CD to .mp3 to be aware of one of the
Internet databases *while* it is ripping your songs.  I like CDDB, too.  In
most ripping programs there is a setting for Internet CD database, and you
can enter the name there. My guess is that on the songs, and CD's ripped for
you so far, this field was blank and so the program could not look up the
proper tags. And therefore, unfortunately, you get exactly what you
stated... Track 01, Track 02, etc., and the whole mess goes into Unknown
Artist or the like.

John