[haiku] Re: User Guide (Translation) Site

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 01:22:40 +0000

Hi,

Don't know if I mentioned this before but it'll save an awful lot of effort to make the documents "translatable" in the first place.

Unlike computer languages, natural languages are vague and inexact. Translating them in an automated way is exceedingly difficult and it's not unusual to get complete gibberish even out of a good translator.

The situation can however be helped by being very careful with what you write and there are guidelines to help with this. In work we can't just write what we feel. We have a hefty document that tells us how to write. Many of the rules are seemingly bizarre and incomprehensible but these are often there exactly to assist with automated translation.

I don't know if anything like this exists in the open source world, I'd be surprised if there isn't something out there.

• From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
• To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
• Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:44:53 +0100