[haiku] Re: Translation/localization info for translators

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:49:50 -0700

Hi PulkoMandy

PulkoMandy wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:38:16 +0100
> At first we tought it was better to send the translation on trac, and
> that was even before hta was started. But now that hta is working
> quite well, I can easily get the data from there, so it's enough to
> ping me when you want the translations to be synced.

So now, in the spirit of helping out, I have changed the "I've finished my
translation. Now what?" entry of the HTA FAQ to the following:

"At present, the process of committing the approved translations to the Haiku
repository is done manually by the Haiku developers. The localization progress
is being monitored and approved translations are periodically committed to the
Haiku repository. You can keep an eye on the SVN Commits Log mailing list to
see when your translation work is committed."

If you feel the above statement needs to be changed, please let me know via

> When :
> 1) all the bugs in hta are fixed
> 2) the translation approval system is in place
> we will consider moving to an automated commit system so that I don't
> have to handle all the translations by hand (they are going way to
> fast for me and I'm lagging behind).

It does look like you are carrying all the burden here. Is there room for other
people helping lower your load somehow? HTA seems to be pretty straightforward,
so if a trusted non-developer could prepare the files for you, then perhaps the
language managers could do the work of downloading the patches for you, and all
you would have to do is commit to SVN. What do you think?

> We're trying to improve the workflow itself, things changes on a day
> to day basis, so expect the documentation to get out of sync.

The problem does not seem to be documentation being out of sync because of
changes in the workflow, but rather a problem of duplication of resources and
lack of coordination and among the people using different resources for
different purposes (translation of user guide vs. translation of applications).
In my own experience, there is a clear disconnect between translating the user
guide and translating the system and its applications, and this IMNSHO makes it
more complicated for the translators to be productive, and also affects the
quality of the work as it leads to inconsistencies in the translations.

A good first step to improve the situation would be to consolidate where the
info for localization/translators is documented (currently Trac wiki vs. HTA
vs. user guide translation tool) and where the translation/localization
discussions take place (currently at mailing lists vs. HTA comments).

As a general observation, your last paragraph seems to imply that improvements
are being considered/discussed/worked on; however, it is not clear where this
is happening. Being heavily involved in the Japanese localization and engaged
to a lesser degree in the translation to Spanish, I would like to help make
changes to the localization processes to improve the workflow and coordination.
Can share with the rest of us where these discussions are taking place so that
we can also participate and potentially contribute?

Thanks!

Jorge / aka Koki