[openbeos] Re: Site Audit

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:38:39 -0700

2008/10/12 Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
> Overall, I am seeing an effort to help Haiku, because users searching for
> software will have less trouble overall if they don't experience any dead
> links when using HaikuWare.

I totally understand the whole "distribution rights" concern, and I
can certainly see that argument from Luc's perspective. I would even
agree that some effort should probably be made to contact most of the
authors if possible (a monumental effort for sure)...

But since BeBits already allows users to add hosting mirrors for files
distributed there, I don't see how HaikuWare is violating much since
the original authors must have known that anyone might re-host the
file on a "mirror" and post a link to it.

Perhaps copying the rest of the info is technically a problem without
first gaining the authors permission...

In any case, I suspect this is one of those situations where
abandonware is abundant, and keeping copies of it around is not
necessarily a bad thing...

- Urias