[openbeos] Site Audit

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:59:55 -0400

Dear Community,

It's probably no surprise to many of you (as you see the number of files on
Haikuware increase) that I've been spending the last while auditing BeBits.

I think it's important to have a software base ready for when Haiku's ready,
and if users have to deal with the vast amount of missing software at BeBits
where ~35% (conservative estimate) of the files are missing, they will
surely get frustrated! Some may argue, why bother? The software is old! To
them I would say - old software doesn't necessarily equate to bad
software... Also, imagine if BeBits were gone tomorrow. That would be a
great loss.

To make a long story short, here's what I've been doing:

   - downloading all available files. When there was missing software, I
   would check against the file name at: a) BeShare b) Archive.org c) Google d)
   Check the Talkback comments for links. In short, if the missing files were
   available somewhere on the net, they have to be hiding pretty good...
   - importing the files, descriptions, dates, icons, etc. Adding archived
   links to author homepages if they disappeared, etc.
   - centralizing all the files on one server (later to be mirrored in
   Europe and Asia) so that the infamous BeBits 'missing file/dead link' never
   happens again.
   - linking files only to one category. BeBits is confusing and misleading
   because files are listed in multiple categories (artificially inflating the
   file counts in each category. e.g total file count listed on their frontpage
   when adding all together = 6500, actual files = 3535). So when you're
   browsing software, you don't know whether you've already passed by the file
   you're looking at or not therefore wasting time. Not to mention wasting time
   finding a link that works or visiting unwelcomed porn sites hehe.
   - removed Zeta software.

I'm 90% complete the task, and will be spending the next 2-3 weeks
finishing. BeBits lists 3535 'files' on their website, of which I estimate
35% are gone (= 2298 actual files). Today I uploaded the 2222nd file to
Haikuware, meaning very shortly, Haikuware may be the largest (but not most
popular) online provider of BeOS (and Haiku if Haiku R1 achieves binary
compatibilty) software (and maybe retro software in general)... But that's
not really the point.

*The point is, I'd like to salvage as much BeOS software as possible. I'd
like to ask the community to contribute any missing files (that I'm sure
they have on CDs in their basements) my way, so I can fill the missing gaps.
I've tried to keep a record (sometimes GoogleDocs crashed on me) of the
missing files, and for the most part, should be pretty complete. You can
view the documents here (in XLS, ODF): *

http://www.haikuware.com/downloads/registered/haikuware.zip

Although I would hope most people see this endeavour as a good thing, I can
appreciate that some developers may not like their software hosted at
Haikuware. Please contact me, and I'll remove whatever you wish.

Lastly, I know the design of Haikuware lacks in function, speed, and
aesthetics (compared to BeBits). Once I'm done with all the files, I'll be
re-designing the website and hope to have it ready for the Alpha 1 release.
I'm looking at an RoR design perhaps. Something that will be able to stand a
huge database and lots of traffic. I'm also looking to create a unique
website that will combine the best parts of VersionTracker, BeBits,
Download.com, etc. Therefore, if anyone can recommend a good developer/team
or has any suggestions I'd be greatful. Also, if anyone here thinks they may
be up to this task (I'd like to keep the work in the community if possible),
contact me privately with your resume. It has to be someone with serious
credentials (not a Joomla hacker like me) with 6-8 weeks of
*full-time*labour. A full proposal is in the works, and will probably
be 20-30 pages.
Ask for my budget - serious enquiries only please.

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.karlvd.com