[openbeos] Re: Site Audit

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 17:16:16 -0400

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Schrijvers Luc <Begasus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >         could submit
> >         >         wanted
> >         >         >         applications and other could post
> >         something like a
> >         >         url mirror.
> >         >         >         To "save" the application. Maybe this can
> >         be added
> >         >         in
> >         >         >         Haikuware somehow Karl?
> >         >         >
> >         >         >
> >         >         >
> >         >         > Not sure I understand what you mean... I want to
> >         try to get
> >         >         away from
> >         >         > people submitting their own mirrors and links to
> >         files. If
> >         >         everything
> >         >         > is all in one place, even if it goes down, it
> >         would be a lot
> >         >         easier to
> >         >         > retrieve than if files are scattered all over the
> >         web.
> >         >         >
> >         >         >         Some Comments:
> >         >         >
> >         >         >         - I hope in your SPIDER-WEB manual job you
> >         also
> >         >         retrieved all
> >         >         >         possible sources. Even if the app is zeta
> >         only or is
> >         >         old, the
> >         >         >         application can be ported and updated
> >         somewhere in
> >         >         time.
> >         >         >
> >         >         >
> >         >         > I didn't. I didn't download or add Zeta apps
> >         because Zeta is
> >         >         dead.
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >         I can't get it why you have to remove the ZETA apps?
> >         ZETA
> >         >         dead ... you
> >         >         are right there ... it has no future and is not
> >         developped ...
> >         >         but that
> >         >         goes for R5 too, are you removing R5 downloads also
> >         then?
> >         >         Your reasons for not adding them don't add up ...
> >         >
> >         > It's purely logical. Haiku is meant to be binary compatible
> >         with BeOS
> >         > R5 NOT Zeta. Therefore Zeta applications are dead and have
> >         no future
> >         > (many requiring libzeta).
> >         >

> I agree with Karl's reasoning on this. If there are ports that work on
> Haiku then they could be included.
>
> There is no mention of that anyware ...
> qoute:
> "I didn't. I didn't download or add Zeta apps because Zeta is dead."
>
> Again ... you did! Freeciv is not running on R5, offialy on ZETA only
> (but should run on R5 BONE also - never checked here). So far for

I didn't physically check but read this:

"Running on ZETA (should run on BONE also due to the use of the network
client - not supported by libnet in plain R5)."

I asked Haiku developers long ago, which software should be compatible with
Haiku, the normal R5 netstack or bone? They said either should be fine, so
that's why I added this software because it said 'should run on R5 BONE.

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.karlvd.com