[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Cameron Mac Millan <casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:01:36 -0500

>> <offtopic>
>> Not even the wireless is supported? Colin G. has made wonderful
>> achievements in that area, so if it's a Mac wifi card it should work
>> as they mostly use Broadcom and Atheros Chips.

Uh...  I'm not installing to a Mac.  I'm using a Mac to obtain and write
images to USB, but the target device is a WebDT 366
(http://bit.ly/6LqVeB).  Networking on it consists of a CardBus Cisco
Aironet 350, and I believe that that card is not currently supported.

>> Images are fun to play with, but for testing or any other *serious*
>> use, compiling is the way to go.

I'm really only interested in testing code from svn, so either nightlies
or spec builds from svn make more sense for me.

>> Well, I'm out of ideas. In the next few days, I'll try and install
>> haiku to a flash drive in a friends iMac (Intel, Dual Core etc... )
>> and i'll post results.

I'd be interested to see what happens, but my gut feeling is that
there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between my findings
and yours.

> He is not getting that far to test any devices in Haiku.  He cannot
> boot Haiku from a USB stick but can do so from a CD ROM (AFAIK).

Correct.

> Right now I can only assume there is something lacking in the BIOS
> that is causing the issue.  I boot and install Haiku from USB all the
> time although it can sometimes take a bit of effort in some BIOSes to
> configure.  As I mentioned in a previous e-mail I have a machine with
> a BIOS that will not recognise a USB stick with less than 512Mb as a
> disk (only as a floppy) so wierd things can trip you up.  You just
> have to go through the BIOS settings carefully until you work it out.

I gave the BIOS a reset, since it occurred to me that I couldn't
remember the last time I'd done that - which likely means that I
probably hadn't since I got the device.  The BIOS is an AMD XpressROM;
I've got version 1.18 (07/01/2005), which seems to be the most common
recent version for these devices from what I can find.

After the reset, I did some poking around.  The Motherboard Device
Configuration | IDE Configuration | Flash Interface item was set to
disabled, so I enabled it; the BIOS describes this setting as,
"Enable/Disable Flash over IDE pins interface."  My assumption is that
this emulates an IDE disk over USB, effectively.

With the option enabled, I was able to boot a USB flash disk containing
a raw image as far as the boot loader.  The boot loader, however,
couldn't see a partition to boot.  I did play around with combinations
of writing to the raw disk, writing to a specific partition,
makebootable, etc., but with no luck.  It just doesn't see a bootable
partition on the flash drive - that is to say, no partitions are listed
in the bootloader, and rescan doesn't find any either.

> As Ingo has specified above as well, there are 2 possible does not boot
> issues.
>
> 1.  Haiku boot loader "Failed to load OS. Press any key to reboot..."
> 2.  BIOS boot loader "no disk" or other error.
>
> We don't yet know which it is.

Apologies for that; I wasn't as clear as I could have been.  It's the
BIOS "no disk" error.

> I might also ask, what support can he get from the hardware manufacturer?

Virtually nil.  DT Research (manufacturer of the WebDT 366) is not
inclined to support the hobbyist market.

Cheers,

- Cameron.