[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:10:11 +1100

2010/1/5 Marcos Alves <retrojogos@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi.
>
> <offtopic>
> Not even the wireless is supported? Colin G. has made wonderful
> achievements in that area, so if it's a Mac wifi card it should work
> as they mostly use Broadcom and Atheros Chips.
>
> If indeed you could get network going, you could build haiku from
> haiku, or install a small ubuntu linux just to compile Haiku (which
> is what I do).
>
> Images are fun to play with, but for testing or any other *serious*
> use, compiling is the way to go.
> </offtopic>
>
> <ontopic>
> Well, I'm out of ideas. In the next few days, I'll try and install
> haiku to a flash drive in a friends iMac (Intel, Dual Core etc... )
> and i'll post results.

He is not getting that far to test any devices in Haiku.  He cannot
boot Haiku from a USB stick but can do so from a CD ROM (AFAIK).

Right now I can only assume there is something lacking in the BIOS
that is causing the issue.  I boot and install Haiku from USB all the
time although it can sometimes take a bit of effort in some BIOSes to
configure.  As I mentioned in a previous e-mail I have a machine with
a BIOS that will not recognise a USB stick with less than 512Mb as a
disk (only as a floppy) so wierd things can trip you up.  You just
have to go through the BIOS settings carefully until you work it out.

As Ingo has specified above as well, there are 2 possible does not boot issues.

1.  Haiku boot loader "Failed to load OS. Press any key to reboot..."
2.  BIOS boot loader "no disk" or other error.

We don't yet know which it is.

I might also ask, what support can he get from the hardware manufacturer?

--
Cheers
David