[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:05:33 +0100

On 2010-01-04 at 07:53:21 [+0100], Cameron Mac Millan
<casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm condensing replies to multiple suggestions into this message.
>
> Assume that I'm using a) a 1GB USB flash drive, b) a nightly raw image,
> and c) that my paths are correct.
>
> Here's what's been tried so far:
>
> - `dd' image to flash drive without partitioning, attempt boot.
>
> - `dd' image to flash drive without partitioning, run makebootable from
> Alpha 1 installation on target device, attempt boot.

BTW, you don't need to run makebootable, if you dd directly to the disk.
The image is already set up to work in exactly that situation.

> - `dd' image to first / only partition on flash drive, attempt boot.
>
> - `dd' image to first / only partition on flash drive, run makebootable
> from Alpha 1 installation on target device, attempt boot.

Did you install an MBR, too? I forgot to mention that earlier. No idea how
to install one from MacOS. You can probably download one and dd it to the
drive before partitioning (hoping that it will be preserved).

> The flash drive is known to be good for booting from; this has been
> confirmed with Puppy Linux (amongst others).

Is their image partitioned? Assuming it is and has a single partition, you
could try to dd the Haiku image to that partition and run makebootable.

On 2010-01-04 at 17:21:39 [+0100], Cameron Mac Millan
<casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If it doesn't work and as Ingo said, you should paste here (or on a
> > haiku.pastebin.com <http://haiku.pastebin.com> if it gets too big even
> > tho it shouldn't) the terminal output, so that we could analyse it.
>
> There is no terminal output.  There are no error messages.  Everything
> appears to work - but it clearly isn't.

No output like there's a flash screen or something showing or indeed a text
mode screen with really no output after whatever the BIOS prints?

CU, Ingo