[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:49:10 +1100

2010/1/6 Cameron Mac Millan <casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Ok so now you have moved onto the Haiku Boot Loader not finding a
>> partition to boot from?
>
> Yes.  'Select boot volume' is set to 'none', and 'Rescan volumes' does
> not find anything.
>
>> So you can hit the space bar and get the boot loader options screen?
>
> No.  I have the three main options ('Select boot volume', 'Select safe
> mode options', 'Select fail-safe video mode') and 'Reboot'.  'Continue
> booting' is unselectable due to no boot volume being found, and the
> space bar does not bring me to the boot loader options menu.

That is the boot loader options screen and you normally get there by
hitting the space bar early in the boot sequence.

Perhaps because there is no boot volume you are automatically taken
there.  Someone who knows more about this can confirm.

So we have pass off from the BIOS to the bootloader which is good but
the bootloader cannot see the USB drive.

Most likely the BIOS is not supplying the disk details that the loader needs.

If you have a look at the code at
src/system/boot/platform/bios_ia32/stage1.S you can see what it is
trying to do but without some sort of support from the BIOS
manufacturer it will be an effort to figure out what is happening.

I think the boot loader asks the BIOS for a list of fixed disks and
then checks each one for BFS partitions so if the BIOS does not return
the USB as a disk then that is bad.

--
Cheers
David