[openbeos] Re: PnP, drivers, packages, etc.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:31:26 +0200 CEST

Marco Zanon <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> mine was something similar to Linux-Hotplug (when you hotplug a
> device to the usb/pci/firewire/ide/etc channel, the kernel gets
> notified), enhanced with a list (in memory) of all loaded drivers
> (with the manufacturer, model, revision, string, device type,
> device path), and when a device is plugged the list gets notified
> (add_item_to_devlist),
> also, if we're logged in as user and not in the login page (R2
> will be multiuser in fact), the desktop gets notified too, and it
> adds an icon like:
>
> (icon)
> manufacturer
> model name
> /dev/usb0
>
> it should be possible to associate an icon type (scanner, camera,
> disk partition, etc.) to a proper application, by giving it some
> mime-type or the like... right?
> this would be clear and simple, imho...
>
> but:
> 1) if you have a lot of device, the risk is to have a desktop full
> of icons...
> 2) furthermore, if you want to access a device, you should close
> all windows to see the proper icon on the desktop!
>
> so: maybe we could add those device in some "device" menu instead,
> similar to the "Tracker" one which currently lives in the BeOS
> bar?

Why should Tracker add an icon for a new device? Sure, it could mount a
hard disk that you plug in (if you want to), but why the hell should it
put anything else on the desktop? What would be the purpose of it, and
what would it be necessary for?
And why only new devices and not all of them?

Seems like you have to explain a little more :-)

Adios...
   Axel.