[openbeos] Re: PnP, drivers, packages, etc.

  • From: Marco Zanon <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:24:45 +0200

> I'd think about a (pci, ...)-id list that is queried at boot
> time, if no driver claims support for it, then contact a
> website and ask for "the driver for pci id xxxx:xxxx".

I hadn't thought about a website contact, good idea :)

mine was something similar to Linux-Hotplug (when you hotplug a
device to the usb/pci/firewire/ide/etc channel, the kernel gets
notified), enhanced with a list (in memory) of all loaded drivers
(with the manufacturer, model, revision, string, device type,
device path), and when a device is plugged the list gets notified
(add_item_to_devlist),
also, if we're logged in as user and not in the login page (R2
will be multiuser in fact), the desktop gets notified too, and it
adds an icon like:

(icon)
manufacturer
model name
/dev/usb0

it should be possible to associate an icon type (scanner, camera,
disk partition, etc.) to a proper application, by giving it some
mime-type or the like... right?
this would be clear and simple, imho...

but:
1) if you have a lot of device, the risk is to have a desktop full
of icons...
2) furthermore, if you want to access a device, you should close
all windows to see the proper icon on the desktop!

so: maybe we could add those device in some "device" menu instead,
similar to the "Tracker" one which currently lives in the BeOS
bar?

if you want me to explain my idea better, please ask: I recognize
I just wrote a couple of lines quickly, I may have missed some
points... :)

regards,

Marco Zanon [http://www.marcozanon.com]