[openbeos] Re: PnP, drivers, packages, etc.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:14:30 +0200 CEST

Kevin Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do have a thought, however. Marco, you mentioned your concern that
> if each
> device were represented on the desktop by an icon, then the typically
> clean,
> spartan BeOS desktop would become cluttered with icons. Besides being
> unappealing visually, this could actually make it difficult for the
> user to
> find the icon for one device in particular (among the crowds of
> icons),
> especially since desktop icon sorting seems to be unavailable as a
> feature
> in BeOS.

Right, as if that could not be fixed forever.
Anyway, I don't get the "icon for evey device" idea at all. I don't see
any purpose behind it. What would I do with a mouse icon on my desktop?
Or one for the keyboard, or the sound card, or ... ???
Hard drives, okay. Printers, well, maybe, not really needed at all
there. Scanners, okay. Digital cameras, okay as well. But anything
which would make sense to be there already is a mass storage device of
some kind (with the exception of scanners, perhaps), and is already
supported that way - by mounting it.

Adios...
   Axel.