[openbeos] Re: PnP, drivers, packages, etc.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:46:27 +0200 CEST

Hello Czeslaw / Kevin,

Kevin Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, I have no idea what Marco has in mind in terms of uses or
> functionality for device icons. He will have to speak for himself on
> that
> point.

That's what I thought.

> Note that in my message I use the words "if...,then..." repeatedly.
> My
> entire message is written in a hypothetical subjunctive mood. "If you
> were
> to seek to satisfy some requirement, then this is what you could
> do...".
> "Wenn man wurde...usw."

Yeah, I noticed.

> I make no claims whatsoever about the possible merits of Marco's
> proposed
> requirements. In fact, I'm not in a position to make any such claims
> because
> my technical expertise is so sorely lacking. But I did have a thought
> -- a
> thought about means, not about ends -- and believed that it might be
> worth
> sharing. Perhaps I was mistaken.

No, surely not.

> Certainly, evoking hostility was not among my intentions.

Sorry if that sounded harsh or something, that was not my intention.
Most of the text wasn't even directly an answer to your message, but
more a general bubbling about Marco's idea - but hostility is surely
not the root of it.

Anyway, the only real relevant part for you to get touched by is this:
[...]
>> especially since desktop icon sorting seems to be unavailable as a
>> feature in BeOS.
> Right, as if that could not be fixed forever.

Denying a feature solely because of a missing other feature that could
even easily be implemented just doesn't make any sense - replace the
"since" with an "as long as" and I wouldn't have anything to say about
your whole message, hypothetical subjunctive mood and so on :-)
If that does sound like hostility in your book, I could only point you
to a page later in that book titled "cynism".
If you can avoid it, please don't get angry with me for no reason,
thanks, I'll try to express myself a little bit nicer next time! ;-)

Adios...
   Axel.