[openbeos] Re: PnP, drivers, packages, etc.

  • From: David McPaul <dmcpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:32:07 +1000

> Kevin Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I do have a thought, however. Marco, you mentioned your concern
> > that
> > if each
> > device were represented on the desktop by an icon, then the
> > typically
> > clean,
> > spartan BeOS desktop would become cluttered with icons. Besides
> > being
> > unappealing visually, this could actually make it difficult for the
> > user to
> > find the icon for one device in particular (among the crowds of
> > icons),
> > especially since desktop icon sorting seems to be unavailable as a
> > feature
> > in BeOS.
>
> Right, as if that could not be fixed forever.
> Anyway, I don't get the "icon for evey device" idea at all. I don't
> see
> any purpose behind it. What would I do with a mouse icon on my
> desktop?
> Or one for the keyboard, or the sound card, or ... ???
> Hard drives, okay. Printers, well, maybe, not really needed at all
> there. Scanners, okay. Digital cameras, okay as well. But anything
> which would make sense to be there already is a mass storage device
> of
> some kind (with the exception of scanners, perhaps), and is already
> supported that way - by mounting it.

I cannot say I would want every device to appear on my desktop.

But a devices icon that lists all devices I have mounted and then when
I double click on a device I get a preference panel.

That I would like.

Cheers
David

--
X-rated movies are all alike ... the only thing they leave to the
imagination is the plot.