[openbeos] Re: (No Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:26:37 +0100

  • From: <holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:30:23 +0200

> From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm up my own a**e or conceited or anything
> but if you want Haiku to be an o/s of the future you need to forget about
> 1999 and get with the times.  I want (sorry, would like) to be able to sync.
> my mobile phone via bluetooth with Haiku, run it on a laptop and connect via
> wireless, etc.  I appreciate this may not be the goal of R1 but to simply
> dismiss it with a "well I don't do it so I can't imagine anyone else would
> want to" repsonse is very disappointing.

Discussing theming and drivers are very different. The response will be
completly different when talking about drivers. In fact with wireless, we have
some drivers for BeOS today already. Most people want it. My guess is that when
the new network stack is done an API for developing wireless drivers will be
worked on. Right now all the people with the know-how is busy with other things.

Bluetooth is interesting, but most blutooth modules are connected thru USB,
even internal ones, so until the USB-kit is done we can't really do it for
Haiku. I've actually looked into it quite much myself and I'm not impressed
with what other platforms including windows has managed to implement. The good
thing when reading the spec is that it seems to map really well to OO.

To sum up, bluetooth, wireless and other things will get implemented sooner or
later as it has lots of potential uses. Theming otoh is not so useful and
spending time on it is more or less a waste, when it could be used for wlan or
bluetooth development. It's all about priorities though.

These are just my thoughts..
/Fredrik Holmqvist